License #1035247

CALL NOW! San Diego: 858-923-4083 or Orange County/Los Angeles: 714-503-8636

License #1035247

CALL NOW! San Diego: 858-923-4083 or Orange County/Los Angeles: 714-503-8636

The Dangers of Using Rat Poison for Your Infestation


One of the worst sounds a homeowner can hear is the scurrying of rodents or other pests in their attic or crawlspace. Rats and other pests make their way into your home, searching for food and dry, warm nesting spaces. Not only can they pose a health hazard, but they can also cause significant structural damage; if you’ve been struggling to contain an infestation, its best to consult with an expert in humane rodent removal. Approaching the problem with the wrong strategy can potentially make the situation worse.

Rats are very smart animals, capable of understanding and evading traps. The failure of traps will often lead a homeowner to consider using a rodenticide or other poisons to eradicate the colony. Before doing so, you should understand how poisons can be more dangerous than the rodents themselves, and how humane rodent removal is preferred.

What exactly is rat poison?

Many different chemical compounds fall under the rat poison umbrella. One of the first that achieved widespread use and popularity was strychnine. It is a highly effective poison capable of killing rats and other pests quickly, often in as little as an hour. Then, in the post-World War II years, pest control experts began investigating the use of anticoagulants.

Anticoagulants are potent chemical compounds that inhibit blood clotting. Rats who ingest them generally die within a couple of days from internal bleeding. Chemical treatments for rodent infestations these days often combine first and second-generation poisons that work very quickly and very effectively; however, there are many consequences a homeowner needs to understand before using them.

Humane rodent removal is equally effective and avoids many of the secondary consequences of using poisons.

What are the dangers of using rat poison to eradicate my pest problem?

One of the most direct consequences of using rat poison is that when rats ingest the poison, they most often go back to their nest within your walls to die. This means that you’ll be left with rotting carcasses trapped in your walls. These rotting rats’ smell is noxious and can permeate your home for days, if not weeks. Not to mention the significant health hazard of having decomposing rodents housed within your home.

Even if a poisoned rat dies out in the open instead of within your walls, the nature of the poison causes rats to bleed out. While you may be happy to get rid of the problem, think carefully if it’s worth having a bloody rat lying dead on your kitchen counter or living room carpet.

Another thing to consider is that for poisons to be effective, you’ll need to place poison in various places around your home, contaminating surfaces and creating a direct hazard to your own health.

What is the best way to deal with my rat problem?

The best thing you can do is contact a humane rodent removal specialist at the first sign of trouble. They’ll come out, conduct a thorough assessment of your infestation, and work with you to develop a strategy to remove the rats or other pests from your home safely.

Contact us online or give us a call today to see how we can help you get rid of the problem and make your home safer and healthier! We offer free, in-depth, and immediate estimates. Don’t miss out on yours today.