An attic is one of the most common places where a fire can originate in your home. The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) estimates more than 10,000 attic fires occur in the United States each year, leading to an average of 35 deaths and $440 million in property damage. Clearly, this is an issue every homeowner should know. Here are some tips for preventing an attic fire from starting in your home.
Common Causes of Attic Fires
When it comes to residential attic fires, the most common cause of the fire is an issue related to an electrical malfunction. If your circuits ever become overloaded and lead to a breaker failing, the excess draw of energy can cause a fire. According to FEMA, about 43 percent of all residential attic fires are the result of this scenario taking place. In addition to electrical malfunctions, other common causes of attic fires include issues related to the heating system, as well as natural sources such as lightning or fallen trees.
Helpful Reading: What is a Photoelectric Smoke Detector
Tips for Preventing Fires from Starting in Your Attic
Since attic fires are so common, it’s important to understand what you can do to prevent such a scenario from playing out. When it comes to reducing the likelihood of electrical fires from starting, check out these below tips:
- Limit the number of cords plugged into one outlet or power strip to avoid a blown circuit breaker.
- Remove any excess lint or debris in the attic.
- Consider removing any other items which can easily catch fire.
- Avoid storing flammable materials in the attic.
- Regularly clean vents of lint, dust and other materials.
- Check for a leaky roof, as water can cause electrical components to malfunction. If you notice a leak in your roof, contact a professional to seal it as soon as possible.
- Get a professional review of your electrical system to asses your property for possible vulnerabilities.
Professional Attic Cleaning Company for Fire Prevention
If you haven’t cleaned your attic in a while, it might be time to contact a professional attic cleaning company. Attic Projects’ professional and experienced team of attic cleaning specialists can help you address key issues and offer sustainable, cost-efficient solutions, providing you with the peace of mind you need. No one should ever have to deal with an attic fire. Contact us at 858-246-7421 and we’ll help you reduce the chances of a fire developing in your attic before it’s too late.
Recommended Article: Attic Encapsulation for Fire Damage Remediation