Can Mold in Your Attic Be a Danger to Your Health?

Mold in Your Attic

Despite even the best sanitation and maintenance routine, mold can develop in your attic. There can be many causes for the development of mold, including moisture or lousy ventilation. Animal feces can also be the source of mold growth. The presence of mold points to an underlying problem, but mold removal should be your first priority once discovered.

Dealing with mold can be very dangerous. It is highly recommended that you consult with an attic sanitation professional when it comes to mold removal. They have the specialized training and equipment to safely assess, mitigate, and remove mold outgrowth, returning your home to a healthy environment.

What are some of the health risks of mold?

The complete list of health risks caused by the mold could go on for pages and pages! We’ll cover some of the more common here.

First and foremost, many people are allergic to the various kinds of mold, with some studies indicating that mold can cause a significant allergic reaction in more than 10% of people. Some of the common symptoms of an allergic reaction to mold are difficulty breathing, rashes, watery and itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing, and respiratory illnesses and infections. If you discover mold in your attic and are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your doctor to have a check-up.

Without proper sanitation and mold removal, the air in your home can become increasingly toxic. Unless you completely eradicate and mitigate the mold growth and take steps to fix the underlying cause, the mold will likely return and continue to make your home dangerously unhealthy.

Not only could it return, but the chances are also good that it will spread, causing it to have an even more significant impact on your health. Mold spores can be microscopic, quickly traveling through openings of even the smallest size. Left unchecked, they can migrate from your attic to the living spaces in your home. It’s not uncommon for untreated attic mold to end up colonizing your bedroom, kitchen, and living room.

What causes mold, and what signs should I look out for?

Mold is almost invariably caused by moisture. The source of the moisture can be anything from a leak to poor ventilation to a pest infestation. Often, the most common factor in the growth of mold is poor ventilation, making it more difficult for leaks or other moisture sources to dry out properly.

The most important signal that there is trouble is if you experience any of the health symptoms mentioned above, but don’t know what the cause could be. Chances are good; it’s the result of mold growth somewhere in your home. Of particular concern is when multiple people in your household exhibit the symptoms but seem to get better outside the home.

Another telltale sign is a musty or foul odor coming from your ventilation system. And of course, the most obvious sign is if you physically see mold on your walls or in your attic!

What should I do if I discover mold in my attic?

While it may be tempting to clean it up yourself, it is highly recommended that you have an attic sanitation professional perform the mold removal for you. Mold can be hazardous, and proper disposal requires specialized techniques and equipment.

We are here to help! If you think you have a mold problem in your attic, call us right away or visit us online to schedule a free estimate! We’ll take care of it for you quickly and effectively, making your home as healthy as possible.

Recommended Article: How to Remove Insulation from your Attic

Contact Your Local Attic Projects: